Sunday 3 June 2012

Blog Challenge - Day 3

15 Interesting Facts About Yourself

I have to say, this blog challenge topic was the most daunting one...how am I supposed to come up with 15 interesting facts about myself??  Five or six, I can do after a bit of thinking, but fifteen?!?  The answer: ask your family members :D

1)  I was home-educated from kindergarten to graduation  (I live in Ontario, and I'm old enough that that meant Grade 13)

2)  Right after I graduated, I moved to West Africa for a year; no small feat for a homebody such as I!  I worked at a boarding school for Missionary Kids, and kids of diplomats.  I came home with an international accent and the ability to tan darkly in as little as 20 minutes!

3)  I've played the harp off-and-on for 16 years.

4)  I once fainted in a tree (Long story here; maybe I'll post it sometime...)

5)  I have enough books to rival small libraries

6)  Hubby and I eloped on a little homestead in the middle of nowhere, Ontario.  My sister and her partner were our witnesses, and all they knew was that we were going on a drive to visit some friends.  Our little ceremony was in the woods, as the sun was setting, and as the snow just started falling....totally awesome!!  I'll have to tell that story sometime too :)

7)  Our little girl was born at home, in the water.  We aren't from homebirth families, but I hate hospitals and after doing some research (to present to hubby; he was leery of it...), I figured that it was the best option for me, and it was an absolutely awesome experience!!  Any more kids we have will definitely be born at home (unless there are complications).

8)  The most interesting meats I've eaten are Green Mamba (poisonous snake in West Africa) and Canada Goose (in a Cree community on the James Bay)

9)  My favourite job was installing sound systems in churches and being an audio engineer...I'm also a techie at heart :)

10)  Among other audio jobs, I've run sound and lighting for a community theatre performance on short notice...I got the script on Sunday, had tech on Monday, dress rehearsal on Tuesday, and then successfully teched 7 performances from Wednesday to Saturday!  And I was also working at the time! (The following year I asked for the script a few weeks in advance :) )

11)  I know how to make and use puppets.  My sister and I actually made a bunch that went to a Cree Community!

12)  (I don't find this one interesting, but my family does) A couple years before I moved out of my parents' house, I slept on the living room couch for a year - by choice.  (I shared a bed with my sister (who is a kicker and a bed/covers hog), so I moved to the couch in the summer because it was more comfortable, and a couple months ended up turning into a year!)

13)  Much to the annoyance of my family, I would rather park my car so I don't have to reverse to get out (e.g. pull through 2 parking spaces at a mall far away from the door), than park close to my destination.

14)  When I was a kid, we had a super-windy day and two of my siblings and I rigged our wagon with a sail and spent the afternoon 'sailing' down our long driveway.  Lol, and I even found a photo :)


15)  Oh, and I'm the oldest of 5 kids :D

13 comments:

  1. Lol, good list! I actually spent an entire summer of college camping out on the floor in my living room. I slept out there one night and slept so great, I just kept doing it for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice :) It's interesting how uncommon sleeping places can turn out to be better than beds!

      Delete
  2. I find these very interesting indeed!
    I was home-schooled from 2nd grade through graduation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm guessing you liked it, if you did it until graduation :D Did you use a curriculum or mix and match?

      Delete
  3. I never sailed on a wagon but I did ride a bike with an umbrella in one hand, does that count? great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that sail on the wagon! I will have to show my kids that. Definitely some interesting things! Green mamba? Doesn't sound appetizing to me! Love that you play the harp and that you are a techie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was a lot of fun! We tried a blanket first but it was too stretchy, then my brother got the bright idea to use the tarp, and it took off!!

      It probably would have been better with some spices...the Canada Goose was a million times tastier!!

      Lol yeah it's an interesting blend but it's served me well when I've gone to places and they had no idea how to amplify the harp...

      Delete
  5. You did a great job on the list. Did it get easier as you went along?
    I absolutely LOVE that sailboat wagon. Fun times !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s.. I also enjoyed reading yesterday's post about the name of your blog. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Im a new follower and doing the challenge. I love your list. Some made me laugh. I found it hard too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sailing wagon. I'm wondering if we could pull the off in west Texas, or it would blow us all the way across the plains? :)

    ReplyDelete