Friday 1 June 2012

Blogging Challenge! Day 1


Going Green with the Grizls

I have embarked on a rather ambitious journey (well, I think it's ambitious), and have joined a Summer Blog Challenge.  To read up on the finer points of the challenge, click on the cool picture/button.  And to check out the other blogs in the Challenge, click on my "Summer Blog Challenge" tab.

The challenge is to write/publish one blog post every day from June 1 to August 31.  Ack!  Can I do it?  I hope so!

So, the first post topic:  Why are you doing this challenge?

I categorize myself as a researcher.  It's not my job (yet) but I'd say that it's what I am, at heart.  My parents taught me to love reading, and to question.  Not in a bad way, more in a "Why (as in, give me a good reason) should I believe/do/learn this?"  And yes, it did bite them back a few times (Just ask my mom about the advanced geometry and pre-calculus days...)

Whenever I have a question about something or want to know something, I research it.  I've gotten pretty good at finding information, and it's even served me pretty well in some of the jobs I've had.  (Presentation on what? In two days? No problem!)

When I got pregnant, it was only natural for me to research pregnancy, birthing options, cloth diapering, parenting styles, breastfeeding, etc, etc, etc.  Needless to say, I found a TON of information, and still discover new things every day.  I love it!  I've had a couple friends who've gotten pregnant after me, and it was so wonderful to be able to answer their questions and give them lots of sources and resources.  (I'm also a teacher at heart).

Usually I can retain vast quantities of information in my head, and recall whatever I need.  Since my little Sweet Pea's been born, forget it.  Hence my blog.  A place for me to talk about my research, about things I've learned, about products I've found useful (or not), about places to find good information, about my own experiences, plus anything else that strikes my fancy :)

In a nutshell, I'm doing the challenge to get back into writing regularly.  Because, as much as I love my little girl, I need something 'grown-up' that I can do to regain some energy.  Because I love writing, learning, researching, and teaching :D

Here's to the next 90 days!

15 comments:

  1. My blog actually began as a place for me to store DIY stuff I had bookmarked. (Before I knew what Pinterest was). Now it's turned into something so much bigger and I need this Challenge to help me learn to manage a more active blog and keep it mostly content vs amount of giveaways. I look forward to the rest of your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog started in much the same way! And I can totally echo the memory loss after kiddo was born. It's unbelievable! I too love writing, learning, researching, and teaching...well, I was an elementary school teacher before becoming at SAHM :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm jealous! I'd love to be an elementary school teacher :)

      Delete
  3. I completely relate to needing something "grown up" to do! This is what I wrote about in my first challenge post too. I sometimes feel so bad feeling like I miss working (I was an elem teacher too, Sarah!) since I'm now a SAHM. I wouldn't trade being able to be home with my little man for anything in the world, but I do have that "void." Blogging and starting an Etsy shop has definitely helped with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought of it as my "grown up" time. But that's what it is for me, too. I get nice and quiet, nap time or movie time (right now it's both).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your first post and hearing how you love to research stuff because I am the same way :)

    Looking forward to reading more of your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so not a researcher! And that is why I rely on you researchers to do it for me! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Lol, let me know what you need researched :)

      Delete
  7. It will be nice getting to know each other!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You remind me of my self. I'm an obsessive info-seeker. I have my BA in science but now that I'm out of college I'm a bit out of my element at times (turns out most people don't want to know WHY!). I'd love to follow you but you have no RSS/Google Friend connect option? I'll be back over the summer! looking forward to your challenge answers

    Alecia @ ChickenScratchNY.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking of the RSS/GFC linkups tonight...I'll have them set up by Monday; thanks for the reminder!!

      Delete
  9. I'll drink to that!
    http://cjrthemamiblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the blogosphere! I started mine because I'm pretty sure people around me got sick of hearing my Maggie stories, but truth be told, I don't do much that doesn't involve her and I wanted to share what I was learning and experiencing with everybody else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had researched about pregnancy, birth, and parenting with my daughter. I didn't until after she was born and there were things I would definitely do different and wish I had known then that I do now. Thankfully with my second, I was able to do things a better way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're a good writer and engages the readers to read more and know what you think.
    I like researching as well before jumping on a decision.

    ReplyDelete