Monday 4 June 2012

Blog Challenge - Day 4

The Meaning Behind Your Blog Name

I wrote a bit about the meaning behind my blog name in my first post, but I'll take this opportunity to expand a bit...

In all of my research regarding pregnancy, parenting, etc., I came to really appreciate what some people had to say about the care of newborns and young babies.  Those I respected and identified with most were very common-sense and go-with-your-instincts oriented, because that's the way I am, and that's the way I was taught.  As the oldest of 5 kids, I was used to being around babies and toddlers, and then when I got old enough to babysit, I was always caring for kids of all ages.  I realized that what worked for some kids totally did not work for others.  

When my daughter was born, I quickly found her likes: being upright, being held, music, bouncing, water, physical contact.  She can feel a wet diaper before I can (well, she is wearing it...) and will squawk for a change if I'm not quick enough on the draw.  She also knows when she needs to eat, and will respond to my sign for 'milk' and lunge at my breast :)  She knows when she needs to sleep, and will rub her eyes and, when I pick her up, either rest her head on my shoulder or nestle into my chest.  She knows that the place she sleeps best is beside mummy on most nights.  Recently in the early mornings, she will squirm and wiggle until I move away from her, and then she will drift into a deep sleep again.  In time, I trust that she will know the best time for her to wean, when she wants to sleep in her own room, when she wants to learn to read (if she doesn't teach herself, like I did), and when she wants to exercise her independence.

I fully understand that many parents will not agree with me, but this is what works for us, and I am quite comfortable following my daughter's leads. While she has very specific needs (Miss Social Butterfly and Miss Cuddlebug), I fully expect any other children I have the privilege of raising to have their own needs, which will require me to adapt my parenting style for them.


One person, whom I respect quite a lot, said that before six months, a baby's wants are a baby's needs.  Being a first-time mom, that statement kept me going many times when I was just so tired and frustrated with my child who needed constant physical contact.  Then I took a moment, and realized that I'm the same way.  Ever since I've been a child/teenager, any time I was insecure or unsure of something, I would seek out physical contact.  Cuddling with my baby brothers, putting my head in my mother's lap.

My daughter cannot talk.  She cannot tell me how she is feeling, or what is bothering her.  If she puts her arms out to me, who am I to resist the most basic needs of a person?  To be acknowledged, to be held, to be loved.

I go with the flow.  Some days she's happy playing by herself (and I get a lot of housework/paperwork done), and some days I have a velcro baby.  But that's okay.  Right now, my Sweet Pea knows what she needs better than I.

There you go!  An epistle behind my blog name :)  Was it what you expected?

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love it and agree completely, except I believe that a baby's wants are also needs even after 6 months. Even a 6, 7, 8, 9 + month old baby NEEDS to be held. He NEEDS to create attachments to his parents and/or siblings. This is just one example. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. My 2 year old is a self taught kid too and I am hoping that my (almost) 5 month old will do the same. I love sleeping with the baby and not having to get out of bed to nurse in the night. It saves on the sleep deprivation a little. Awesome theories and I love seeing similar ideas put into play from another prospective. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...before Willow was born I hadn't yet decided on sleeping arrangements; I figured we'd go with the flow. The first night she slept in our bed, and has been there ever since. Makes it SO much easier for night-time nursing!

      Delete
  3. I am a mama for the second time after having my son over 13 years ago. With him, I did the scheduled nursings and structured bedtimes & naps, and he slept in his own crib from day 1. With my daughter (now 4 months old), I have been following her cues. (You learn a lot about parenting in 13 years! ;)) We co-sleep, breastfeed on demand, babywear, nap when she is tired... I just recently found out that I am what they call an attachment parent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been raising my daughter the same way. It's so much less stressful to read their cues and adapt your own actions. =)

    ReplyDelete